Google Analytics

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trash to Treasures Wednesday – Turning a closet into a Luxurious bed

Do you have a room in your house that serves as three or even four rooms? You know the one I mean, the extra bedroom/den/work-out room/etc. I was recently faced with the dilemma of making a very small room into all of the above and was just about there when I came to the conclusion that you can’t put ten pounds of sand in a three pound bag. In order for it to serve the desired purpose and still look esthetically pleasing, I just needed that room to be a few feet larger….just a few feet!  I was just too darn close to give up.
After a good bit of pondering and some real old fashion stick-to-itivness, I figured it out.  In this small but valued room was a closet so full of clutter that the door could barely be closed. This isn’t the normal everyday run of the mill junk that you actually use but toss in a closet to keep out of sight. This is a closet filled to the brim of junk from years gone by never to be seen or used again but still lacking the ability to part with it.
I gutted the closet. Sorted, organized, stored and compromised the release of some of its contents until there was nothing left but shelves. I pulled out all of the shelving and used it for additional seating in the basement family room. (See Last Wednesday’s trash to Treasures Post)
I took off the doors and framed the opening with draperies that needed a home. I pulled the center drapes back against the wall and added a picture.
I put the nightstands inside the closet on each side and the headboard in the center. I added lamps    creating a luxurious sleeping area for overnight guests.
Those extra few feet gave me the space I needed to keep the bed out of the way for the desk, dresser and treadmill, that folds up and out of the way when not in use, to all share the space and still look like they belong there.  
This room has achieved maximum usage and still maintained beauty and comfort. To see before and after pictures of this project visit my website at www.reutershomedesigns.com
Next Wednesday see what I did with an old bar stool

No comments:

Post a Comment