Google Analytics

Monday, July 11, 2011

Do it yourself Monday – Changing a light fixture

Changing a light fixture is something that I never could imagine myself doing as I am a really big chicken when it came to electricity. However, my desire to do it won out over my fear and I found that there was nothing to be afraid of. Just be sure to cut the power and pay attention to what you are doing.
You’ll want to have a power tester. They are inexpensive and you’ll know for sure that the power is off.
Turn off the electricity; remove the light cover and bulbs. There should be either thumb screws or regular screws holding the old fixture in place. Once the old fixture is removed, unscrew the caps over the ends of the wires. Use your power tester to be sure there is no juice to the connections. Once you are sure, go ahead and unwind the wires from one another, disconnect the ground wire and your half way there. 
You will be attaching the black wire to the black wire, the white wire to the white wire and the ground wire to the same screw that the old one was attached to.  To attach the new fixture place the black wire of the new fixture to the hot wire (the black one)by placing them side by side in the same direction and winding them together in a clockwise motion then screw the cap on securing them together. Repeat the same step with the white wires. Connect the ground wire and you’re ready to put your new fixture up.
If your fixtures are close to the same type you might be able to use the same brackets. Most of the ones I’ve installed can go right back up with the same brackets, however, I have ran across a few surprises but have had no problem following the directions of the new fixture.
Once the fixture is in place and the bulbs and covers are secure, turn the power back on and make sure it works.
I’ve come a long way since the first time I attempted changing my first light fixture. There is no feeling in this world like the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Be careful, be safe but be brave enough to try. You will be so proud of yourself. Don’t forget to check out my website for more ideas and helpful hints at www.reutershomedesigns.com
Next Monday: Putting in a paver patio.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Maybe I will be brave enough to change a fixture by the time I'm 40 lol

    ReplyDelete