Google Analytics

Friday, July 1, 2011

Anything Goes Friday – Stretching a dollar with Gift Certificates

I like to get the absolute most out of every dollar I can. In this economy who wouldn’t? Call it cheap. Call it thrifty. I call it smart. I can think of all kinds of other things I could do with my money.
I have a checking account that offers Rewards points when I use my bank card as a credit instead of debit. The Rewards points can be used toward all kinds of gift certificates for stores, restaurants and gas and even for Visa cards to be used for anything. I always get Home Depot Gift Certificates with mine since that seems to be where most of my money ends up anyway.
When I decided to purchase a six piece DeWalt tool set, I went to Giant Eagle and purchased a Home Depot Gift Certificate with my bank card. I then took that gift certificate to Home Depot and purchased my tools with it.
In the end, I got rewards points for using my bank card as credit, which bought me a hundred dollar Home Depot Gift Certificate.
I filled up my gas tank free with the fuel perks that I got from the gift certificate purchase at Giant Eagle.
If that wasn’t great in itself I got my tools on clearance since the combo I wanted was being discontinued to offer a new combination for the following year.
$100.00 gift certificate for using my bank card
$50.00 full tank of gas from fuel perks from the purchase of Gift Certificate
$150.00 off the regular price on clearance.
I saved $300.00!!! Ok, the Clearance was a lucky break but $200.00 of my savings was just from taking a few extra minutes to purchase a gift certificate for the store where I was going to purchase my tools.
Saving money, like anything else, gets easier with practice and experience. Just take a minute before you reach for your wallet or before you step up to the cashier and think, “Is there a way I can save money on this purchase?”  Anymore, I won’t buy anything without figuring out if there is a way to get it for the least amount of money I can possibly spend on it.
As always comment/questions are welcome. Comment below or contact me at maryannreuter@ymail.com
Next Anything Goes Friday: Keeping the grandchildren happy and occupied during weekend visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment