Google Analytics

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Coupon Sunday - Tracking Savings on the Computer

Wow, I can’t believe its Sunday again already.  It’s my favorite morning of the week, I just can’t wait to go down to Gibby’s and get my papers filled with all my money saving treasures. Waiting to see what coupons I will get is torture.  I love matching them up with the Store ad flyers to see what I’m going to come home with FREE.
In order for me to fully appreciate my impending shopping trip, I have designed a spreadsheet that I enter my intended purchases and the regular price of the item as well as the amount of the coupon and it tells me how much I will spend, how much the item is each, how much I saved and what percent I saved on that particular shopping trip. It also keeps a running total of savings since I started couponing.
I’m in the process of designing it to include every coupon I have in a database so when I enter the item it will tell  me if I have the coupon and the amount along with the expiration date but not quite done with that yet so I’ll continue to use it as I have it for the time being.
My spreadsheet consists of the following columns, # of coupons, # of items, item, price, coupon, Type of coupon special ( I enter an “X” if it is to be doubled, a “b” for buy one get one free and a “b50” for buy one get one 50% off.), Specials, Double, Advantage, Total, e-coupons, additional savings, rebates, Final Cost, Savings, Cost per item and percent saved.  There is also a place that keeps a running total of my savings from the time I started couponing.
What I like about this system is I don’t have to sit down and figure it all out and risk making a mistake that I won’t find out until the check-out line.  It’s easy, all I have to do is enter the item that I intend to purchase, the amount of the same coupons I have for that item, how many of the item I am purchasing and how much the coupon is for and my spreadsheet figures out all the savings for me. When I go to the store I can, for the most part, know what I’m spending and what to expect. There are those few rare deals that I find while I’m shopping that might throw off the plan a little but when I get home I’m sure to enter it so it will pick up and include all my savings.
It is so much fun to see that I’ve saved 80% or more. Even though I pretty much know how much I’ve saved when I’m leaving the store, it is so much fun to document it and watch it unfold on my spreadsheet. Almost as much fun as it is to put my treasures away on my stock pile shelves. It’s a beautiful sight.
I’m starting a coupon club in my area for all the local couponers to get together and share techniques and coupons. Our first meeting is this Sunday.
Be here next Sunday to read about some of my really great purchases and how I got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment