Google Analytics

Friday, July 8, 2011

Anything Goes Friday - Occupying Your Grandchildren for the Weekend

I am the grandmother of five children ages 7, 6, 4, 3 and almost 2.
While my daughter is the proverbial Super Mom, with the older three in extra-curricular activities, keeping a house and her brood fed, bathed and clothed, and as a free lance writer preparing  bi-weekly articles www.survivingfive.com (particularly the Surviving Five and mommy brain post), having five very young children can wear even the mightiest super mom down. So occasionally I will get them for the weekend to give her a break.
My basement family room is decorated with my grandchildren in mind. I have a TV and DVD player set up with a large selection of children’s movies, a Wii game console with games, toys, coloring books, puzzles and well you get the picture. I keep plenty to busy them for hours on end. I painted the door leading to the bathroom with chalk board paint so they can go crazy being creative.  I purchased a bounce house a couple years ago and I use it year around, outside in the summer and downstairs in the winter. They never get tired of it. It was by far the best purchase I’ve ever made and with five grandbabies I will more than get my money’s worth out of it. We spend just about every waking hour in the basement in the winter when they visit.  
Before they arrive I make up a bunch of mini pancakes and put them in a zip lock bag in the fridge. I then throw a pkg of cream cheese a couple bananas and about a fourth cup of powdered sugar in the food processor and put it in a container in the fridge. Then I get the kitchen clean and the table set before they get here. Staying caught up early on is crucial as you can lose control fast with that many cookie snatchers around.  
Once the kiddo’s arrive I don’t even have to suggest eating breakfast they are running in the door heading straight for the table, after hugs and kisses, wanting “panatates” because theeey looove “panatates” (I’ve been told). All there is left to do now is put the mini pancakes in the toaster spread the banana cream between two and drizzle syrup over them. I try to give them meals that they don’t usually get at home so it will keep coming to grandmas special.
After breakfast I take them downstairs, put a baby gate across the steps and turn em loose. They have a ball.  Late morning I put the baby down for a nap and clean up breakfast dishes and make lunch while the other four play their little hearts out. After lunch, which we also have downstairs we go outside if it’s nice.
 I like to get the Chef Boy ar Dee pizza kits. I make up the dough and divide it in four balls and let the kids each stretch out their own dough, I put the sauce on and they put on pepperoni and cheese. They love making their own dinner, which at Grandma’s is typically pizza, hot dogs and ice cream oh and a little bit of pop. What? Just a little. Hey I’m grandma. I don’t have to be the responsible one I get to be the fun one.   We play games, sing songs, bounce, play Go Fish and play with toys. If we’re outside they play on the swing set and in the sand or blow bubbles until they are so filthy and tired they are begging to get their bath and go to bed.
The next morning we do a repeat breakfast of day one. Then, however comes the moment when Grandma is no match for Super mommy. While my darling daughter does this day in and day out…..I don’t, I only raised one child and I’ve got twenty-three years on her. Waiting for Mommy to come rescue me is like being a child waiting for Christmas. It is so crazy how they wear me out but I wouldn’t trade being a grandma for anything in the world. I love them as I love my own sweet girl. Three or four weeks rest and I’ll be ready to do it all again.
The message in this story is to come up with most unique things to do, the most fun meals to make and the yummiest treats to serve and trust me the simplest of all of them are the best. It will keep you elevated to movie star status with your grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment