Google Analytics

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Trash to Treasures Wednesday


Welcome to my introductory Wednesday blog where we will be taking junk and transforming it into something useful and beautiful. 
Few of my decorating jobs have large budgets and that’s fine, in fact, it’s what I prefer.  I am in the business of giving my clients a high end look on a low end budget. I’m pretty good at cutting corners by repurposing furniture and finding the best buys for what I do have to purchase. I stretch my clients dollar as if it were my own. If you read my Sunday coupon blog you know that I am quite the penny pincher.
 You can make something out of anything.  So think before you throw out your next piece of junk. Think before you take it to your basement never to see the light of day until you finally haul it to the garage to sell or kick it to the curb for trash pick-up.  
I came across a couple end tables one day in a basement/family room that I was decorating.  They were from the seventies!!  You know the kind I mean….big square wooden end tables with doors that open to store junk underneath. No one is going to want these. I know because I tried to pawn them off on anyone and everyone who walked through the front door.
So I primed and painted them.  Attached swivel wheels to the bottom and covered the tops with batting and fabric. Hmm, I then had the answer to a couple decorating dilemmas I was having:  Seating was at a premium in that family room. I now have extra seating and a when not being used as seating I push them together in front of the couch to utilize as a coffee table.  The padded tops make it a comfy place to put your feet up and it replaces the coffee table (also from the seventies) that I was definitely not going to use in there. I made some throw pillows out of the same fabric used for the end tables for the couch to give the entire area a pulled together look.  As an added bonus the storage underneath came in handy for storing toys.
Visit my website at www.reutershomedesigns.com  to see pictures of my trash to treasures projects.
Check back next Wednesday to see the five projects I got out of the one old coffee table that I took out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment